Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: Mobility problems & AG Place NY

  1. #1
    Inactive Member wiccacat's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 1st, 2006
    Posts
    189
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I recently went to the Ny store to get Felicity. I have severe mobility problems and
    knew i was in for a hard time when i got there. Only the revolving door were working and it was very crowded. I need to use the elevator to get to the 2nd floor but only one was working. I was waiting for it when a store employee came over to me and said, "you have to use the escalator. The elevator is reserved for strollers". If i could use the escalator i wouldn't be waiting for an elvevator. I really felt like crying at this point. It's pretty obvious that i have trouble walking but the employee wasn't impressed -no baby, no elevator. So i left without a Felicity. They might have had a few on the first floor or maybe i could have asked someone to get one for me but i was just too upset. I really wanted to pick out the perfect doll and get some outfits for her. I understand that things break but this elevator has been down for a while. The last time i went i just waited for the working one without getting yelled at by a employee but it wasn't crowded that day. In my opinion AG needs to understand that not everyone is able to use a escalator or stairs. If i'm waiting for the elevator i probably have a good reason and i shouldn't have to provide a note from my dr. to use it. The same goes for the handicapped rest room. I've had problems with that too. I apologize to anyone who hates to read anything negative but this is a real problem for some of us. I can't be the only AG customer with these problems. I did call the store to complain when i got home and they suggested i mail order my doll. If i had wanted to do that i would not have made the trip in the first place.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member LindaL's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2003
    Posts
    367
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sounds to me like AGPNY needs a letter from your attorney "reminding" them that the Americans with Disabilities Act requires that they provide services for those with disabilities (whether they require a wheelchair or not!)

    Is there a city, state, or federal agency you could file a complain with against them? They need to realize the seriousness of breaking this law.

    Linda

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ March 23, 2006 09:44 AM: Message edited by: LindaL ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member FelinaDoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2005
    Posts
    692
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sorry you had a bad day.

    I hope that the person who yelled at you was just having a bad day. That said I can understand in some fashion why they urge anyone w/out a stroller to use the Esc/Stairs - I can't tell you how many times my Daughters and I have been literally pushed out of the way so that people who didn't have strollers could get on. I have had to wait through several cycles before getting on Elevators when DD is in her stroller. I am sure they have many people complain about this, so they probably thought that they were being "Helpful"

  4. #4
    Inactive Member wiccacat's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 1st, 2006
    Posts
    189
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've had all kinds of unpleasant experiences using elevators around the city. I've been shoved and had strollers wheeled into my legs which is very painful because i have nerve damage. And of course i've been yelled at by people with strollers for using the elevator. But i've never shoved anyone out of the way and i try very hard to be courteous to other people. I don't judge why anyone else chooses to use the elevator since the might have a problem that isn't obvious like a heart condition, artificial joint, balance problems or even a fear of escalators. My mom suffers from this phobia and although she's physically able to she just can't get on a escalator. As for the store employee, since i had a cane, it should have been obvious why i needed the elevator.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member robin0850's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2005
    Posts
    1,270
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How disappointing! I'm quite upset at AGPNY myself, now!

    JMHO, but I don't think there was any excuse for your not being allowed to use the elevator--anyone with mobility problems should be allowed to use it with no questions asked.
    If able-bodied moms pushing strollers were allowed on the elevator, you should have been allowed on, too. This is a serious gaffe on the part of the store employee. If you had asked to speak to a manager, this could probably been resolved in your favor, (hopefully with an apology as well) but I understand how hard it can be to know what to do on the spot.

    Maybe we should all email CS to explain how they just lost a sale due to the unreasonableness of one of their employees. (I hope you remember who it was--heads should roll.) This is a very disturbing incident, and I think AGPNY owes you an apology at the very least. Perhaps someone on the board local to AGPNY can help here?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Skittl1321's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 26th, 2005
    Posts
    1,310
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm so sorry this happened to you. I would send a harshly worded letter to AG to file a formal complaint. If it happens again I would insist upon talking to a manager.

    If you feel the need, you could ask an attorney about a complaint based on the ADA, however, I believe they have strict definitions on what is considered disabled- and I'm not sure if you know if you fit them. If you feel it is worth the attorneys fees to look into it, I suggest you do. My undestanding is that under ADA AG doesn't have to let you use the elevator if their policy is strollers only (but why wouldn't they) but only provide reasonable accommadation- like have a personal shopper get things for you upstairs. (For example- When I was in college people were trying to sue because some buildings were not wheelchair accessible. But whenever someone with a disability registered for a class in that building, the location was changed- to provide accomadation. That meets ADA requirements so they did not have a case)

    Overall, I'd write a letter of complaint to AG and chalk it up to the employee having a bad that. That place can be a mad house. (But that's still no excuse for this ridiculous behavior)

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ March 23, 2006 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Skittl1321 ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member MaryCarly's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 20th, 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I totally understand and I am so sorry for what happened to you. I have similar problems, but I am such a scaredy cat that I don't often go anywhere alone. Kudos to you for making that trip!

    You should be very proud of yourself, though I can imagine your disappointment and frustration. I struggle with these same things and it used to always make me want to cry when people would give me filthy looks for using the handicap restroom. I would want to shout "Hey! I may look normal to you, but I am in constant pain and my joints don't work right! I need that stupid bar to lift myself back off the toilet - unless you want to follow me into the teeny tiny stall and lift me off when I am done, Back Off!" Of course I would never say those things, I would just feel small and miserable inside. It is hard enough to get the courage to go out when every step takes focus and you fear that you will not have enough energy to make it back home. We really don't need people to heap more pain on us, but I believe that most people just don't understand.

    If one of you that doesn't understand reads this, please try to remember the last time you had the flu or how you felt right after major surgery. That is how some of us feel all of the time and we don't have the hope that you had, because we won't feel better tomorrow. Please pass this message on to people you know and visit the website in my signature. There are a lot of us that don't look sick, but we really are and every day is a challenge. If you go anywhere today, I bet you will pass one of us. Please don't assume we are trying to cheat you. Please be kind.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member MOM to JILLIAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am so sorry that this happened to you. I'm hoping that your next visit will be more pleasant. I've never been to AGP so I don't have any insights into the elevator/escalator issue. Maybe you could write a letter to them explaining your last visit and ask them for suggestions/help for your next visit. Would a personal shopper be able to assist you with getting around and finding what you want? Just some ideas that come to mind. I'm legally blind in both eyes and totally understand your frustrations. I've had cashiers and waitresses look at me like I am an idiot when I ask them to read menus, clarify prices, etc. I think it is hard for people to understand that some disabilities are not evident at first glance. Even when I try to explain, sometimes they just don't get it. Again, I hope your next experience at AGPNY will be a wonderful one. Take care, [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Kit_Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2003
    Posts
    313
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have heard so many bad things about AGPNY- people seem so rude there. I hope you do call or email AG. Let us know what you hear back.

    Tracy

  10. #10
    Inactive Member wiccacat's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 1st, 2006
    Posts
    189
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    One of the things that bothers me about this is that the let whole groups on with a stroller. If it's really crowded the person pushing the stroller and other kids if there's no other adult should use the elevator. The rest of the group could use the escalator and meet someplace. I had a sort of funny encounter with an elderly woman on the subway elevator once. She started to yell at me because i got on with her. She said she had arthritis. I said, "would you like to compare xrays? I've got big metal plates in my legs". This is the result of being hit by a car. I'm also legally blind and diabetic so i probably qualify as disabled enough for ADA. But i don't want to get a lawyer or have anyone at AG fired. I just wish they'd fix the doors and the elevator.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •